By: Courtney Feuquay, Troops and Resources Program Manager
Be a sister to every Girl Scout. We recite this phrase every time we say the Girl Scout Law. But what does it mean? So often we think about our sister Girl Scouts being the ones we meet and interact with within our troop, school, community and Girl Scout council. But did you realize we have sister Girl Scouts and Girl Guides all over the world?
With more than 10 million global girl members of Girl Scouts and Girl Guides, you can imagine the amount of international friendship we share!
A Little History
In honor of all of the Girl Scouts and Girl Guides around the world, the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) annually declares February 22 as our World Thinking Day. This special day has been a tradition since 1926. It’s a day when Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from 146 countries take time out of their troop meetings and busy lives to think about their fellow Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from all over the world and celebrate international friendship!
Ideas to Celebrate World Thinking Day
- Earn the World Thinking Day award. This year the theme is GROW. What will you grow? How about growing the international friendship within your community. Girls are invited to plant a tree of friendship. More info can be found here.
- Attend a community sponsored World Thinking Day event near you.
- Invite girls from your troop to learn about a different culture then share what they have learned with their sister Girl Scouts in your troop.
- Try a new food from a different culture or have an international themed potluck within your troop. FUN FACT: The Badgerland staff always holds a potluck at the Girl Scout Service Centers to celebrate our sisterhood!
- Play a game from a different country. Great game ideas can be found here.
- Learn a new dance style or dance steps from a different culture.
- Invite someone from a different culture to speak to your troop about their culture.
- Read a book about your troop’s chosen culture.
- Check out Badgerland’s Pinterest page on other fun ideas to celebrate international friendship and World Thinking day!
Now go on and have THE best World Thinking Day ever. And tell us how you celebrated – let us know what your troop did to recognize this special day in Girl Scouting. Hint: we love photos!